Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Ola Minha Familia! - July 31, 2013



Oi oi oi!!

Hello from BRAZIL! I only have a few minutes but I wanted to let you all know I am here safe and I love you all so so so much! You mean the world to me. I am absolutely LOVING it here...the people, the food, the culture, the CTM, all of it. We have only been here since late afternoon, but it seriously feels like days. We are already talking in portuguese as much as we can and beginning and ending our prayers in portuguese. At dinner tonight I talked with a few girls who have already been here for cuatro semanas and we talked in all portuguese! They all speak spanish anyways, so there was no ingles.

I am so grateful to be here. My district is awesome! There are 3 elderes and 6 sisters! Crazy! We all taught a man named Marcus tonight as a sort of exercise to teach with the spirit. Man, how cool was that. I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY. I can hardly stop smiling any time I think about what I am doing and who I am representing. What a privilege it is to be a missionary. I will say that forever!

My plane ride was long but good! Even though I felt silly carrying my pillow, it came in handy. Still not much sleep, but definitely more than the ride to Chile. Funny thing, my seat actually got switched because the man I was sitting next to wanted to sit by his wife (not much argument there haha) and so I took her original seat. I ended up sitting next to probably two of the only Brazilians who spoke somewhat decent english (such a blessing!) Their names are Bruno e Alessandro. They were so nice and told me what to expect and everything. They are so excited for me to experience Brazil. The sunset around 530 this morning was stunning...I tried to get some pictures so i'll send those. It is SO GREEN here. love it love it love it. Reminds me of Chicago. At the end of our flight, Alessandro wanted to kiss me goodbye on the cheek, but i explained that we dont do that as missionaries...he didn't like that ha. The people are SO AWESOME. Everyone is so kind and open here'; i love it. I feel like I belong in South America and always have. However, there were hardly any americans on my flight! All the missionaries were on other flights coming out of Dallas. I am so obviously american that it's painful. So I was by myself, but don't worry mom; I did everything fine! The driving is of course nuts. The houses span from all the colors of the rainbow and then some.

Once I found the guy who was to take us to the MTC and we waited like 3 hours for the other missionaries that came in on other flights, we drove to the CTM. Security is nuts..... there are full on guards and everything here! When we drove up through the gate I was like...holy cow! The feeling here is awesome and I feel so blessed to be here. Today we got to walk around the town and see some shops. Randomly, there was some kids coming down the road at full speed, on top of a mattress which was on top of a wagon! WHAT???? hahaha. They are crazyyyy down here. AH there is so much to say but they are only giving us a few minutes. Did you get the picture that Presidente sent of us and our district? I hope so. Please remember to not send packages to the CTM, because they take awhile to get here and the CTM cannot forward them to our mission once we get there. Just send it to the mission home! But letters are fine sent here.

I'm trying to write a lot because I know you will appreciate it Mom! I know I am rambling...gosh there is so much to say. My Companion's name is sister Chatwin, she is from Oklahoma. She's great! She always knows exactly what's going on. I am excited to work even more with her.

Okay okay I need to go soon. Oh, before I forget, tell the Jennings that I have seen Leah already like 4 times! We gave each other a big hug, and it was nice to see someone I know. Her portuguese is stellar and I also got to observe her teach an investigator with her companion...what are the chances of that! Alright, I love you all SO much. I'm not sure when i'll be able to write again, but know that I miss you and hope to hear from you all soon! Can you make sure that anyone who wants to recieve these emails is recieving them and that you can send the emails to me of those who want it? Thanks! And mom, can you get my address out? They don't have dearelder here, which is kind of a bummer. So write me letters and email me? muah love you all and miss you but I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Love,

Sister Sperry

No comments:

Post a Comment